Prattville Junior High School Drama Club
- Mrs. Melissa Strickland
- Ms. Hannah Meherg
The Creative Outlet theatre club is for students interested in learning about theatre, specifically acting. The goal of the club activity time is to select and perform acting and musical theatre pieces to enter into the Alabama Conference of Theatre youth competition in February/March. Some students in the club may also be selected to be actors or crew members for the spring play, auditions for which are open to all PJHS students. Meeting/rehearsal dates will be announced at the beginning of the year and will take place after school. There will also be at least one field trip offered for the club.
Club members will be expected to do the following:
- Work with Mrs. Strickland to choose and cut a competition piece
- Work with other adults or PHS theatre students to improve competition piece
- Memorize at home and/or work on own or with partner as needed beyond school time
- Possibly assist with the spring play or fall talent show
- Work and participate in any possible fundraisers
- Meet as a group to see productions at PHS or the Prattville Community Theatre
- Possible field trip to Alabama Shakespeare Festival to see a Schoolfest production (usually $35 per show)
After school. Meetings for the whole club will be announced on the intercom, on the PJHS Creative Outlet Club page, and on the calendar posted on the bulletin board by the lunchroom. Individual rehearsal times for events will be scheduled with Mrs. Strickland.
Talent Show & Spring Play:
I know many of you will want to be involved in the talent show and spring play. Theatre club members are not required to do either, but it will certainly be great if you want to help or participate! However, cast members for the spring play will be determined by audition; crew members will be determined by application. Audition and application dates will be announced later. All students at PJHS will be allowed to participate in the play even if they are not in the Creative Outlet Club.
There is a club due of $5.00 per school year—CASH only please. This should be paid by September 10, 2017. Club dues will be used to purchase items for club activities and some competition fees and will go in the club account from which the school play and talent show draw. Please put the cash in an envelope with the student’s full name on the outside. Dues can be given to Mrs. Strickland or Ms. Meherg.
There will be an optional t-shirt available for the Creative Outlet Club, which can be worn for the yearbook club photo, on meeting days, for field trips, and also for group attendance at other theatre productions. The fee for this shirt is $10, which is the actual cost of the shirt. It is not considered a fundraiser. Money is also due September 10. Please turn in ASAP, as shirts will not be available to order later in the year.
- If a student does not pay the club due, does not show up to a reasonable number of activities or work days, is failing classes, or has behavior or attendance issues, the sponsors reserve the right to remove the student from the club and/or not allow participation in activities or field trips.
- In addition, parents need to pick up students PROMPTLY when rehearsal times are over; Please keep in mind that Mrs. Strickland and Ms. Meherg have other obligations, appointments, and family needs, and cannot stay an extra 30-60 minutes to wait for students to be picked up.